In this episode of the 2022-2023 Advocacy Series, IFOPA Family Services Coordinator, Karen Kirchhoff speaks with FOP community member, Steve Eichner about his experience using a Vocational Rehabilitation program to provide financial assistance for the modifications on his new van.
Pat Doherty, Mobility Specialist from United Access joins the FOP community to share the different makes and models of vehicles currently used in the adaptive van market as of 2023, as well as the various features and modifications FOP community members may want to consider when deciding on an adaptive van purchase to best meet their needs.
Listen in as FOP Community members share their experiences using various forms of accessible public transportation, including:
- Emma Albee (U.S.) - Trains as an alternative to flying
- Rachel Winnard (U.K) -"Try B4U Fly" resource for evaluating your ability to fly on an airplane
- Erin Danzer (U.S.) - Adaptive driving programs and the evaluation process
- Brian Harwell (U.S.) - Strategies for transporting scooters without an expensive adaptive van, finding cruises and vacations that are accessbile, and tips you may not know for airline travel
- Karina Chaikhoutdinov (U.S.) - Advocating for your rights on city buses and taxis
- Hamish Patel (U.K) - Advocating for "alternative" adaptive van features for your specific comfort needs