Travel Stipend Program for Dental Care
Funding for transportation and lodging is available for eligible families who are financially burdened by traveling away from their home for dental care that can best be completed by an FOP dental expert at Jefferson University Hospitals in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
How to apply:
Applications must be submitted by an individual with FOP or their caregiver. Please review the guidelines below before applying.
For questions and extenuating circumstances, please reach out to Family Services directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 785-294-1607.
Criteria to be met:
- Child or adult must have a confirmed FOP diagnosis
- Patient must have a scheduled dental procedure date at Jefferson University Hospitals
- Applications must be completed entirely; missing information will result in a denial
Things to know before applying:
- Expenses must be submitted for reimbursement within 30 days from the date of the procedure. Reimbursements will not be processed until after the date of procedure.
- At this time, assistance is only available for travel to receive dental care at Jefferson University Hospitals.
- The IFOPA provides up to $1,500 to cover travel and lodging assistance, as long as all eligibility criteria are met.
- Travel assistance is intended for the patient and one caregiver to get to treatment.
- Applicants may request for the IFOPA to pay airfare and hotel charges directly or request reimbursements after the surgery date.
- Please provide as much lead time on travel dates as possible.
- You can expect to hear back from us regarding your application within 2 business days.
- Lodging reimbursement may be applied to all nights that the family is required to stay in Philadelphia for follow-up appointments immediately following the dental procedure.
- Lodging will be reimbursed up to $150/night
- Recommendations for lodging near Jefferson Hospitals:
- Charity lodging (such as Ronald McDonald House) must be accessed first for children under the age of 18, unless there are mitigating circumstances. (Please note: The IFOPA does not cover donations to Ronald McDonald House per their website’s statement: “The RMHC Global Policy is that families are never turned away; if it’s not possible to pay, the fee is waived.”). We prefer that all families with children under the age of 18 apply directly to Ronald McDonald House for charity lodging. If this option is not feasible for your child due to health concerns, please note that in your application.
- If the applicant requests the IFOPA pay the vendor directly, one of the two recommendations for lodging listed above will be used.
- If necessary, the IFOPA may book airfare, train or bus travel for the patient and one caregiver.
- Please be sure to indicate in your application if there are special accommodations needed for the patient while traveling (i.e. accessible transportation, wheelchair assistance, etc).
- Mileage assistance is approved based solely on mileage for driving the patient to/from the hospital
- Mileage is reimbursed at the IRS standard mileage reimbursement rate for 2020 which is 57 cents/mile
- You may choose to reimburse only for gas (with receipts)