Delaware City, DE 19706
Google map and directions
B.A.D. to the Bone – Bike Across Delaware to Cure FOP
~14 scenic miles on the C&D Canal Trails
Saturday, October 10, 2020
Rolling Start 9 – 10:30am
Fort DuPont State Park
BIKE ACROSS DELAWARE & BE BUSSED BACK!
Local mom, Wendy Henke, has planned a family-friendly bike ride in honor of her son Justin who has fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva (FOP). FOP tragically transforms connective tissue into bone, resulting in rigid immobility. No effective treatments exist for the world’s ~900 known patients. Let’s change that!*
Starting at Fort DuPont State Park, cyclists will head west to Chesapeake City, Maryland. On the C&D Canal Recreational Trails, riders will enjoy the sights and sounds of wildlife, watercraft, and overhead train and highway bridges spanning the canal. At the midway point, Grain H20 Restaurant will provide water for riders to refill their bottles. Ending in Chesapeake City at the Volunteer Fire Company Station #2, buses will return riders to the start, while bikes remain safely behind, to be picked up later by their owners.
*Proceeds will benefit the mission-critical work of the IFOPA which funds research to find treatments and a cure for FOP, provides support programs for those with FOP and their families and caregivers, and raises awareness about FOP.
- Vehicle Parking: Fort DuPont State Park Parade Ground (Kent Avenue, Delaware City, DE)
- Rolling Start: 9 – 10:30am. Upon signing in, riders will be guided to the trail by volunteers. A rolling start should help riders stay safely spaced along the trail system.
- Midway Water Tent: 9:30am – Noon. Riders can refill their bottles at Grain H20 Restaurant parking lot (3006 Summit Harbor Pl, Bear, DE). No other water is available on the trail system, so plan wisely.
- Rolling Finish: At the trail’s end, riders will be guided by volunteers to the Chesapeake City Fire Station #2 (215 Lock Street, Chesapeake City, MD).
- Buses: 11am – 1pm. Leaving every ~30 minutes from the fire station, buses will return riders to the Fort DuPont State Park Parade Ground.
- Bike Parking: Bikes will remain parked behind the fire station, until picked up by their owners. Bikes must be picked up NO LATER THAN 3PM.
- Event ID Bands: ID bands are to be worn and displayed on the C&D Canal trails, at the water station, at the fire station, on the bus, and to claim bikes.
- Bathrooms: Eco-friendly facilities dot the trail, but they do not have water.
- Gear YOU should bring: Helmet, full water bottle(s), picnic lunch/snacks, sunscreen, sunglasses, perhaps binoculars
Bike Trail Etiquette:
- Stay to the right.
- Pass on the left, sounding a bell/horn or announcing, “On your left!”
- When stopping, move entirely off of the paved trail to your right.
FREE & Discount Promotions:
- FREE Bike Safety Inspections, plus discounts on parts/services, provided by Bike Line of Middletown, with proof of your “B.A.D. to the Bone” rider registration (bikes can be taken to the shop at 486 Middletown Warwick Rd, Middletown, DE prior to the event or bikes can be checked at the Bike Line tent onsite day of the event)
- $30 per person by September 30, 2020
- $40 per person by October 9, 2020 (online registration closes day before, $40 on-site registration is available day of event)
- Parking Volunteers: Direct attendees where to park on the Parade Ground at Fort DuPont State Park. 8 – 11am. (Kent Avenue, Delaware City, DE)
- Registration Volunteer: Help participants sign in or register at the event. 8 - 11am (Kent Avenue, Delaware City, DE)
- Starting Volunteer: Assist participants in safely walking their bikes to the start of the trail. 8 - 11am (Kent Avenue, Delaware City, DE)
- Water Volunteer: Help riders refill their bottles at the Grain H2O Restaurant parking lot tent. 9am - Noon (3006 Summit Harbor Pl, Bear, DE)
- Finishing Volunteer: Assist participants in safely walking their bikes from the end of the trail to the Chesapeake Fire Station. 10am – 1pm (215 Lock Street, Chesapeake City, MD)
- Bike-Valet Volunteer: At the fire station, park bikes as labeled. When owners return to reclaim bikes, check that ID bands match, and help owners walk their bikes to their vehicles. Noon – 3pm (215 Lock Street, Chesapeake City, MD)
- Bus Volunteer: Assist participants in getting on & off buses, ride along, and help keep the buses tidy. 10:30am - 1:30pm (Kent Avenue, Delaware City, DE)
Can't attend? You can still support the event! Click here to Donate
Looking to support the event in a bigger way? Click here to Sponsor the event
b-b-b-BIG thanks to:
Fort DuPont Development Corporation
Chesapeake City Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1
Bike Line of Middletown
Premier Physical Therapy & Sports Performance
Middletown Family Care
Middletown Veterinary Hospital
Strano & Feeley Family Funeral Home
Melanie & Myles Bennett